Preparation for PET/CT Exam15
Before you have a PET/CT scan it is important to make sure you follow the following points:
- Avoid strenuous activities on the day before and the day of your PET/CT scan as excessive muscular activity may interfere with the interpretation of the results of the scan.
- Do not eat for six hours prior to their PET/CT scan examination. You can drink water, but not anything else
- If you are a diabetic and take insulin to control your diabetes mention this before the PET/CT scan, as you will probably be scheduled for an early afternoon appointment
- You must remove all jewelry, hair pins, and clips prior to your exam
- Clothes must be free of metal zippers, snaps, etc
- Please be prepared to stay for approximately 3 hours
- Your blood sugar level will be tested prior to the injection of the radiopharmaceutical. If your blood sugar level is elevated, your scan will be rescheduled.
- Before the injection of the tracer drug you will have an angiocath placed into a vein in your arm for ease of injection
- A small volume (normally 370MBq) of a radio pharmaceutical (normally FDG) is injected through the IV line in your vein
- After the injection, you must wait for approximately 45 minutes before the scanning can begin.
- Before the PET/CT scan you will allowed to relax in one a quiet room. It is important that you relax and rest during this time to allow the radio pharmaceutical to properly distribute throughout your body.